Eurochild recommendations for the Luxembourgish Presidency of the Council of the European Union
Upon its taking office as Presidency of the Council of the European Union for July-December 2015, Eurochild calls on Luxembourg to commit to children’s rights approach and ensure that children are fully recognised as independent rights holders, and guarantee respect for the principle of the best interests of the child in all policies and actions affecting them.
We recommend the Luxembourgish Presidency to:
- drive forward the mid-term review of the Europe 2020 strategy and draw a particular attention to balancing between economic and social dimension, strengthening its social aspect and maintaining the poverty reduction target;
- link the Investment Plan for Europe to investing in children;
- works with the Commission to better monitor and review the implementation of the ‘Investing in Children’ Recommendation;
- promote ending institutional care, and strengthening of families and community-based services for children;
- look at the implementation of 2014-2020 cohesion policy making sure it sufficiently supports tackling child poverty, fostering social inclusion and the transition from institutional to community-based care;
- encourages the Commission to propose a successor to the EU Agenda for the Rights of the Child; and
- encourage Member States to ratify the Third Optional Protocol to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child on a Communications Procedure
Download Eurochild's recommendations here.