Lithuania's Child Guarantee National Action Plan - An overview
2021 was a turning point in the fight against child poverty, with the launch of two landmark initiatives, the EU Strategy on the Rights of the Child and the European Child Guarantee.
As EU Member States submit their Child Guarantee National Action Plans, Eurochild will share highlights from each plan that members, children's rights advocates and influencers can use in their own work to ensure children's rights remain high on the political agendas across Europe.
The Lithuanian government submitted Lithuania's Child Guarantee National Action Plan (NAP) on 30 June.
The Lithuanian Child Guarantee National Action Plan focuses on:
- Early Childhood Education and Care: Providing care services focused on families with risk factors
- Education: Support for purchasing school supplies, additional benefits for children in general education
- Healthcare: Providing more information and services for children with disabilities, enhance mental health, promote psychological resilience, develop healthy lifestyles, ensure availability of vaccinations
- Nutrition: Improving the legal regulation of free school meals for pupils
- Housing: More favourable conditions to rent social housing, increasing subsidies, improving living environment for children with disabilities
- Children in Alternative Care: Increase and differentiate the foster care allowances, strengthening of Foster Care Centres’ activities
- Other: Organising after-school activities, also for Roma children and children in migration, increasing monthly allowances for children, free positive parenting consultations.
Eurochild and its members will continue to call on Member States to release their plans and to work on ensuring the Child Guarantee National Action Plans helps end child poverty.
This overview presents highlights extracted from the National Action Plan (NAP) from Lithuania published on 30/06/2023. It is not exhaustive nor does it evaluate the NAP and uses the same terms as those in the NAP. It is intended to summarise key elements & to signpost stakeholders to other relevant analyses.