Resources on the humanitarian crisis in Ukraine
The Eurochild Secretariat has decided as a team to adapt our course of action, given the current situation in Ukraine. Therefore, we are putting together a list of useful resources that light help you navigate these difficult times.
Help for people fleeing the war
- Children of War: state portal to search for missing and deported children launched in Ukraine.
- European Commission: Information for people fleeing the war in Ukraine - Preparing to leave; Your rights in the EU ;Travel inside the EU.
- MissingChildrenUkraine - Missing Children Europe launched a webpage with information on how to report a missing Ukrainian child as well as resources to support missing children and their families fleeing Ukraine.
- In 32 countries across Europe, organisations (including Eurochild members Telefono Azzurro and Smile of the Child) operate the free Europe-wide phone hotline 116 000 that can be used to report missing children and to seek assistance.
- Guide by UNODC and University of Manchester for parents: Caring for Children through Conflict and Displacement.
- Questions and Answers about Fleeing to Hungary from Ukraine for Children and Young People and Their Families. Available in ENG, HU, RU and UA.
- EU Skills Profile Tool for Third Country Nationals - This tool will make it easier for people to map their skills and find jobs and other opportunities. Now also in Ukrainian.
- Information for Ukrainian citizens in the Czech Republic. In CZ, EN, UA.
- EU and Ukrainian operators to help refugees from Ukraine stay connected: affordable or free roaming and international calls.
- Europass is now available in 30 languages including Ukrainian.
- European Commission launches a dedicated phone helpline in Ukrainian and Russian to assist those fleeing the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
- OSCE and Thomson Reuters launched Be Safe, a new initiative to raise awareness on human trafficking among the people fleeing Ukrainine.
- Education: Ukrainian Online Schedule - interactive schedule with links to the educational materials for all subjects according to the Ukrainian curricula for students 1-11th grades, while displaced or in a temporary shelter.
- Tele-lessons on Ukrainian TV channels: MEGOGO, 1+1 video, Київстар ТБ.
- Italian Ministry of Education: School reception of Ukrainian students. First indications and resources for Italian schools. Here's in Italian.
- Migrant Learners’ Unit: Notes for integrating children in schools in Malta.
- The Including Children Affected by Migration (ICAM) programme supports schools and parents/carers to successfully include refugee children in their community through 5 effective strategies.
- Statement by Commissioner Mariya Gabriel on measures in support of pupils and educational staff fleeing Ukraine following the Russian invasion.
- UNESCO: Mapping host countries’ education responses to the influx of Ukrainian students.
- School Education Gateway - Policy guidance by the European Commission on supporting the inclusion of Ukrainian refugees in education: Considerations, key principles and practices
- School Education Gateway: How to provide Early Childhood Education and Care to Ukrainian refugee children
- European Education Area: Promoting the enrolment of child refugees in education
- UNESCO: Mapping host countries’ education responses to the influx of Ukrainian students
Guidelines for professionals and volunteers
- Defence for Children Greece: Emergency Child Protection Response Toolkit for first line Professionals.
- Global Protection Cluster Protection Messages - Priority protection issues and gaps in Ukraine
- Child and Family Fondation - Advice for professionals and volunteers helping children coming from Ukrainian institutions.
- International Social Service (ISS): How to apply international standards when working with children and their families impacted by this crisis.
- Critical Considerations for Movement of Children During a Humanitarian Crisis - Better Care Network guidance for service providers in Ukraine and surrounding countries.
- The map of institutions in Ukraine.
- OSCE anti-trafficking recommendations
- GBV Guidelines: How to support survivors of gender-based violence - Pocket Guide in Ukrainian for Workers in Humanitarian Institutions. Also in Russian.
- Tip sheet: Safe recruitment for civil society organisations in development and humanitarian settings.
- Alliance for Child Protection in Humanitarian Action: Child Protection Resources. Materials in English, Ukrainian and/or Russian.
- Blog: Ensuring Help Does Not Harm Ukrainian Children - Eurochild member Florence Koenderink highlighs some important considerations for child protection systems.
- SFAC - Strengthening Families And Children: Three practical, science-backed coping strategies for difficult times
- FRA: Practical guidance for protecting unaccompanied children in the relocation process
Reports, data and surveys
- Eurochild, Child Circle and UNICEF ECARO: analysis of legal and child protection systems across the EU for children arriving from Ukraine
- Report: Children and the War in Ukraine - by Voices of Children, an NGO in Ukraine providing psycho-social support to children affected by war.
- OECD Report: Rights and Support for Ukrainian Refugees in Receiving Countries
- European borders pass resilience test: the new Schengen Report
- European Commission Timeline: how the EU has been supporting Ukraine since the start of the war
- European Council Infographic - Refugees from Ukraine in the EU
- UNICEF: Refugee Response in Neighboring Countries Humanitarian Situation Report No. 12 - 2022
- EU Agency for Fundamental Rights: online survey on persons displaced from Ukraine available in English, Ukrainian and Russian until end of September
Guidelines for governments
- European Commission: Guidelines to support Member States in applying the Temporary Protection Directive.
- European Commission Guidelines for countries bordering with Ukraine that are hosting refugees.
- FRA: Practical guidance for EU Member States for protecting unaccompanied children in the relocation process.
- European Commission: Toolkit on the Use of EU Funds for the Integration of People with a Migrant Background.
- European Commission launches an EU platform for registration of people enjoying temporary protection or adequate protection under national law
- Council of Europe's checklist for states on how to protect children affected by refugee crises from sexual abuse
Talking to Children
- Talking to Children about War - Strategies for talking to children by Barnardos Ireland.
- Discussing War with Young People - tips by NYCI, the representative body for voluntary youth organisations in Ireland.
- How do I talk to my children about the situation in Ukraine? - SOS Children's Villages explains in this short guide how to address the issue of the war in Ukraine with children.
- Espoo Finland: The situation in Ukraine also worries children and young people. Support to Finnish children.
- Children and Young People's Commissioner Scotland: When the news seems scary, you still have power - article for children and young people.
- Superscoala (RO): Guided meditations - audio stories that help children find calm
- Heroes can cry too - Colouring Book for children fleeing the Ukrainian war on how to deal with the trauma of the war
News & Updates
- War 2022: crimes against children - Eurochild member from Ukraine Polina Klykova shares updates on the impact of war crimes on children.
- Social Platform has launched an info hub with calls for support and members responses.
- Latest news and stories from UNICEF - A list featuring photo-essays, stories, press releases and more.
- The Washington Times: Displaced Ukrainian children need aid, not adoption, advocates say
- UN’s Bachelet concerned over Ukraine orphans ‘deported’ to Russia for adoption
- DW: Ukrainian orphans find shelter in Poland
Responses, Communications and Press Releases
- Human Rights Council establishes an Independent International Commission of Inquiry to investigate all alleged violations of human rights in the context of the Russian Federation’s aggression against Ukraine.
- UNHCR: Ukraine Response Protection Snapshot, 25 Feb-1 Mar 2022 (BG version).
- Joint Statement on Early Childhood Development and the Ukraine Crisis.
- The Kyiv Declaration - An appeal from 100 Ukrainian civil society leaders.
- ENOC calls for urgent action to protect children’s rights in Ukraine.
- Students Against World War III - Movement of Students and Academics to stop the invasion and war.
- European solidarity with refugees and those fleeing war in Ukraine - European Commission Communication.
- UNHCR: Unaccompanied and separated children fleeing escalating conflict in Ukraine must be protected.
- Eurochild member NNC Bulgaria calls on the Bulgarian State to Support the People of Ukraine with All its Resources.
- UNICEF: Unaccompanied and separated children fleeing escalating conflict in Ukraine must be protected.
- ENOC and the European Parliament Vice-President call for the protection of unaccompanied and separated children, and children in institutional care fleeing from Ukraine to the EU.
- OSCE: States need to strengthen anti-trafficking prevention measures amid humanitarian crisis in Ukraine.
- European Commission: Ukraine - EU support to help Member States meet the needs of refugees.
- CHILD10 and Missing Children Europe: Protect children (at risk of) going missing, violence and exploitation due to the Russian war in Ukraine
- Children deprived of their family environment: Cross-border protection and intercountry adoption - Note from the Permanent Bureau of the HCCH
- EESC opens its doors to Ukrainian Civil Society
- European Parliament: Dangers related to illegal adoption of children fleeing war
- €3.5 billion for Member States to help them welcome refugees from Ukraine
- Commissioner Johansson presents the plan against human trafficking to the EU Solidarity Platform
- 200 million new aid package for Ukraine announced
- Commission to establish Solidarity Lanes to help Ukraine export agricultural goods but also humanitarian aid
- EP adopts resolution to reinforce EUROJUST's mandate to process war crimes
- Frontex update: 6.3 million refugees enter the EU from Ukraine and Moldova
- EU disburses €600 million in Macro-Financial Assistance to Ukraine
- War in Ukraine poses major challenge for EU cohesion policy, EESC cautions
- European Council conclusions on Ukraine, the membership applications of Ukraine, the Republic of Moldova and Georgia, Western Balkans and external relations
- Ukraine: EU boosts operational support to humanitarian organisations
Calls for Donation
- Eurochild member FARA Romania is appealing for donations to provide essential material support and psychological assistance to Ukrainian children and families.
- Eurochild member Happy Kids’ Foundation is fundraising to carry out the evacuation of young refugees in close cooperation with the Ukrainian and Polish Governments.
- Eurochild member Partnership for Every Child established a Family Support Fund.
- Eurochild member CESVI is fundraising to donate food and hygienic products.
- Eurochild member L'Albero della Vita is accepting donation to help Ukrainian refugee children.
- OSF Czechia is fundraising for children from the Roma community in Ukraine.
- Hope and Homes for Children: 4 ways your donation will help.
- Fundacja Siepomaga and SOS Children's Villages in Ukraine (supported by Eurochild member SOS Children's Villages International) is fundraising for children in care and foster families in Ukraine.
- Philanthropy for Ukraine: This portal brings together the most up to date initiatives and calls for donations from the European philanthropy sector and NGO community in Ukraine and neighbouring countries.
More resources coming soon.
Share resources, calls for donations and testimonials with us using this form.